HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

By Victoria Abbott The Wolfe Widow (A Book Collector Mystery)
Victoria Abbott
Pumpkins in Paradise (A Tj Jensen Mystery Book 1)
Kathi Daley
The Cat of the Baskervilles
Vicki Delany
Girl Missing
Tess Gerritsen
A Fatal Chapter (A Booktown Mystery)
Lorna Barrett
Thirteen Chocolates (A Chandler's Chocolate Box Mystery Book 1)
agatha chocolats
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Arsenic and Old Books

Arsenic and Old Books (Cat in the Stacks Mystery) - Miranda James

Charlie and his cat, Diesel, are asked to come to his office to meet with the Mayor, who wants to give more of the diaries from her husband's great-great-grandmother. That night, he starts getting phone calls from a reporter and a visit from a professor that is not liked. They are insistent that they have to have access to the diaries right away and the professor says it has to be exclusive. This makes him curious, so he goes to the office on his day off to go through the diaries. He arrives in time to have another dispute with the professor and see one between her and the reporter. Then the reporter tries again to gain access to the diaries. He goes to lunch and comes back to find that the diaries have been stolen. He can only think of two people who want them this desperately. The night that her place is searched, the professor is murdered. The mayor also turns up with another diary. Charlie is tasked with reading the diaries and helping the police with the information he learns.

As I was reading, I ended up researching arsenic and learned that it was found in fabric, wallpaper, hats, and books. It was amazing how much they used arsenic on and the death rates because no one knew that it was as dangerous or deadly. In fact, one comment I came across was about hat makers and the phrase "Mad as a Hatter."

I like books that make me think and go off on a tangent to research for more information.