HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

By Victoria Abbott The Wolfe Widow (A Book Collector Mystery)
Victoria Abbott
Pumpkins in Paradise (A Tj Jensen Mystery Book 1)
Kathi Daley
The Cat of the Baskervilles
Vicki Delany
Girl Missing
Tess Gerritsen
A Fatal Chapter (A Booktown Mystery)
Lorna Barrett
Thirteen Chocolates (A Chandler's Chocolate Box Mystery Book 1)
agatha chocolats
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

The Darling Dahlias and the Unlucky Clover

The Darling Dahlias and the Unlucky Clover - Susan Wittig Albert

Opie is a female reporter earning extra money to help her family through the depression era. She and the other women of the Dahlias grow vegetables and fruits in the gardens of their "clubhouse" and give to the people who need and earn money by selling to give to people who need. At the same time, there is a mystery of what happened to the husband of a woman in their community.

This book is set in 1934 and FDR is president and Huey Long is running against him. What I enjoyed about this story was all the historical information that was provided in this story. After I got far enough I realized what a goldmine it was and hunted down an audio version so I could have my kids listen. We talked about coming out of the depression, putting people to work as they wanted to work not be given handouts. We talked about party line phones and so many other things brought up in this story. I will definitely be looking at the other books by this author to see what else she brings up that will be interesting to my girls for history.