HelloGeorge

The Sayers Swindle: A Book Collector Mystery
Victoria Abbott
Yarn to Go
Betty Hechtman
Thirteen Chocolates (A Chandler's Chocolate Box Mystery Book 1)
agatha chocolats
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Death by the Dozen

Death by the Dozen - Jenn McKinlay

This was another book that I borrowed for our trip in audio and Kindle format. As soon as a radio program my husband likes to listen to had ended, I was told to put the book on and then when we got home and the book wasn't finished, I was told that we had to listen to the rest as soon as we got in the car to run an errand (getting our dog from a family member).

In this story, Mel and Angie have entered a baking contest. The prize is $10,000 and they start getting up seriously early in the morning to practice making things that are offbeat, like parsnip cupcakes or Red Velvet Cupcakes with Red Beets. This book had more funny, laugh out loud moments and my family loved it.

Mel's former teachers, Vik and Bertie, are both judges and Vik and his wife, Grace, turn up at the bakery early one morning after she makes cupcakes with parsnips. Then a former classmate who has a grudge against Vik shows up and then Vik shows up with his new "protege" who is also his mistress.

The first day of the contest, the ingredient to make cupcakes with is parsnips and Vik is missing. As Mel and her friends are wandering around the fair, they find Vik and he is dead. She doesn't believe that he committed suicide. She believes he was murdered and wants it investigated. As they go along, Angie gets poisoned and Mel might have been the one that was the target. She begins to try and find out who really wanted Vik dead and who would try to poison her and Angie.

This book introduces, Oz, a teen boy who is working at the bakery as a co-op and Mel and Angie are uncertain about him because of his appearance, but when he is able to participate in their favorite game, movie quotes, he is immediately accepted in the group and as he proves his worth, Mel finds out how to make his position a paid position.

Just another great read.