HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

Death of an English Muffin (A Merry Muffin Mystery)
Victoria Hamilton
The Sayers Swindle: A Book Collector Mystery
Victoria Abbott
Thirteen Chocolates (A Chandler's Chocolate Box Mystery Book 1)
agatha chocolats
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

#20 in the Series

Die Like an Eagle - Donna Andrews

This book is part of the Meg Langslow series. I enjoy these books because they are fun and she uses some great words that are great for vocabulary building.

Meg's twins, Josh and Jamie, are playing ball for the first year in the Summer League. The league was started by parents frustrated by the manager of the Little League. He is a tyrant that has alienated many of the parents to the point that they are afraid to gather and talk with each other. When Meg and her husband, Michael, have the team and their families over to their house the night before the first game, they learn just how tyrannical he is and are plotting how to get rid of Biff so that their children's enjoyment of the game is not destroyed. It seems Biff has started things that may help the parents get rid of him. He has invited a member of the Summer Ball League to come for the opening day and just as the first game is about to start, Meg finds Biff's brother dead in a porta-potty that Biff's company supplies to the field.

Meg helps her boss and friend, Randall, in trying to get Biff to live up to his commitments and the Sheriff find out what really happened. As she was trying to get Biff to follow the contract, she learns about his corrupt practices with his business and with the League. She comes up with suggestions that will allow her to get the work finished on the town square and at the ball field. The Summer League Official is shocked to learn the truth about Biff and his bad behaviors. In fact, when Biff attacks Meg's son Jamie, she punches him the nose and all the parents stand up and say that they will testify to his attacking the child and her defending her child. The official also says he is no longer allowed to be the President and calls for a meeting to elect a new President and VP and Accountant.

As Biff's world unravels, more things start to come to light, including the truth of the murder.

I really enjoy this story and my daughter who doesn't like mysteries, enjoys listening to the story and hearing the silly things that happen in the story.