HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

Cinnamon Toasted
Gail Oust
A Catered Mother's Day (A Mystery With Recipes Book 11)
Isis Crawford
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

First in Miracle Springs

The Secret Book & Scone Society - Ellery Adams

Nora has been in the hospital for a very long time healing from burns she sustained in an accident. She is being cared for by a British sounding nurse who brings her books to read to help her heal through the mess her life has become. After she is released from the hospital she sells all that she has left and moves to Miracle Springs and starts over as a bookseller. The people come and talk with her and she helps them find books that will help them through what is happening in their lives. She also notes when people buy books what they are reading and the theme of the books. She is known in the town as a bibliotherapist. One day while sitting in the park, a man comes up and starts talking with her and when he learns that she is the bookstore owner, he asks for her help. She sends him to Hester, the local baker, who makes comfort scones and tells him to come back to her store and she will try to help him. Before he can return, he is pushed in front of a train and dies. The local sheriff, known as Sheriff Toad, rules it a suicide. Nora, Hester, Estella (a hairdresser) and June (an employee at the spa) all feel that this is wrong and start to work together to find out what really happened to the man and make sure there isn't a miscarriage of justice.

As they work on the mystery, they tell their stories (secrets) to each other and share books and scones.

I started out listening to the book, but because I had to rerun it a few times and ran out of time, I had to borrow the actual book in order to finish the story.

It was a really interesting story and I really enjoyed the growth of the women with each other and singly.