HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

Cinnamon Toasted
Gail Oust
A Catered Mother's Day (A Mystery With Recipes Book 11)
Isis Crawford
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Protecting China and Keeping the Japanese at Bay

The Flying Tigers - John Toland

AVG - American Volunteer Group, a group of aviators who were trained to fly a specific plane to advantage against the newest and best planes. Chennault had been trained in the US and was recruited by the Chinese to come and help protect China from the Japanese. He had the latest intelligence on what the Japanese were flying and where they were headed. He went to the top and still did not really get the help he needed to do what would eventually prove to be good and bad, good because the men ended up being the best fliers and mechanics in the military and bad because the men were totally worn out from constantly flying and repairing the planes.

This was a really interesting book. I remember one time hearing that the Americans, when shot down over China, had to get back on their own. The Chinese would not help them because of a tradition stating that if they helped a flier they would be responsible for that man for the rest of his life. I kept expecting that to come up in the book, but it wasn't there. I don't remember where I learned this and so that was why I was hoping it would be mentioned there.

The other thing that made this an interesting book for me, is that up at the Wright Patterson Airforce Base, Museum, is a monument dedicated to the AVG and Chennault. It is a very beautiful monument. I tried to find a picture of it, to share, but I couldn't find one and know that in the very near future (we have a trip planned for there) I will get one and share it.

The book was very interesting as it talks about the history of the AVG and Chennault and how they protected China and kept them safer than if they hadn't been there at all. I do recommend this book.