HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

A Catered Costume Party (Mystery With Recipes)
Isis Crawford
Progress: 51 %
Cover to Cover: Through the Bible in 365 Days
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %
"I was almost asleep when a bloodcurdling scream jolted me wide awake. “What the hell was that?” Michael asked. “I think someone found the snake I put in the hall bath,” I said. “Why did you—never mind. That came from the backyard, not the house.” The screaming had subsided into muted wails, and I could also hear voices, and someone laughing. I stumbled over to the window overlooking the backyard. Rob, wearing a black cape and a smear of stage blood around his mouth, was sprawled on the ground just outside the cellar doors, laughing hysterically. The wailing appeared to be coming from a small cherry tree. Dad, Horace, and Rose Noire were standing beneath the tree, saying soothing things to it. The Adirondack chair was empty. “Ah,” I said. “Rob was helping Dr. Smoot relive childhood memories.” “Serves him right for telling everyone about his damned trauma all day,” Michael muttered. Rob’s laughter died down—not that he’d stopped, but he’d reached the point where he only had the breath to utter an occasional, barely audible squeak. But just about then, the hyenas kicked in, more than making up for his silence. Chief Burke burst out of the back door, strode over to the cherry tree, and stood looking up at it with his hands on his hips. “Get a grip on it, man!” he bellowed. I heard another scream at closer range. “Now that was definitely the snake in the hall bath,” I said. Michael groaned, and pulled a pillow over his head. I followed his example."
The Penguin Who Knew Too Much - Donna Andrews

"The Penguin Who Knew Too Much," by Donna Andrews pigs 86-87

Laugh out loud moments. This was a favorite of mine.