HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
Chelsea Sedoti
A Catered Murder (Mystery with Recipes, No. 1)
Isis Crawford
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Audio and Kindle

4:50 from Paddington - Agatha Christie

This morning I was trying to get a bunch of work finished and wanted to read an Agatha Christie that I saw someone else's post. I had read it when I was in high school and enjoyed it. I was re-reading it and still was taken by surprise at the ending.

Miss Marple's friend is on her way to see her for a visit. As she is coming by train, she gets a nice place to rest during the ride. When she wakes up the train is passing another train and she witnesses a man murdering a woman. She does her due diligence and reports it, but is believed to have been dreaming. When she gets to Miss Marple's she tells her about the murder and Miss Marple helps her to try and find out what happened. They report the sighting to the local constabulary, but again she is accused of dreaming.

Miss Marple then gets her nephew and a friend's son to help her with some research and then hires a woman to help her with her search. They both then go to the village where it is most likely that the body will be found. They then begin working to find out answers.

The woman goes to work at the home of a local landowner and learns that the old man is cantankerous and the daughter is the sole surviving daughter who has brothers who cannot be bothered to help with their father. There is also a nephew of the woman and a local doctor who comes around and finds the woman very appealing.

When the body is found, they begin to try to find answers with the help of Miss Marple and her friend who is working in the household.

Really good short story and fast read.