HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

A Catered Costume Party (Mystery With Recipes)
Isis Crawford
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Murder in a Library

Murder at the 42nd Street Library: A Mystery (Thomas Dunne Book) - Con Lehane

I have seen pictures of the Library in New York that has the famous lions. I always thought how fun that place looked. As for the murder in the library, that is something that the teens at a local library play. One of them draws the "murder card" and they go around killing the others. If they are figured out, their turn ends and they start over. They have so much fun. At one event, my middle daughter drew the murder card and killed her sisters. When I asked her why, she said, "There can be only one."

This murder starts with a man walking into the library and being shot to death and another man being targeted but missed. He knows who the killer is, but claims to the police and others, that he really doesn't know who did the deed. The main detective, Cosgrove, is friends with one of the librarians, Ambler, and he asks him for information. As the librarian starts working on the why of the killing and who could be involved, he talks with an old friend whose, a famous author, whose papers have come into the archive that he manages. The man rants that he doesn't want anything written about him by this man. Then he asks for help in locating his daughter. There are love triangles all over the place and so many connecting stories from the past and the present. The story didn't start to move until the end, then I had a hard time putting it down.

I also ran across a quote that made me think back to the weekend I was volunteering with the Friends of a library that I frequent with my girls:

"...who'd never heard of the library's crime fiction collection and complained about so many of the tourists visiting the library on any given day being Asian.

'They must have a lot of money in China these days for so many to be traveling.'

'I'm glad they like the library,' Ambler said. 'I wish more American tourists did.'" pg 202

The complaint came from an older lady who didn't like all the things that the library was doing that brought in families and others. It is sad that many want to keep libraries like the used to be, silent and dark. Places to study and not be disturbed. Many libraries around us have created rooms for study and others for computers and rooms full of light and fun for kids/teens. A haven in this world. I love taking the girls to the libraries and I am thankful for all they allow us to do.

The book was an okay read and there is a point where you know something before the end of the book and it is confirmed, but that part isn't the who murdered whom.