HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
Chelsea Sedoti
A Catered Murder (Mystery with Recipes, No. 1)
Isis Crawford
Cover to Cover: Through the Bible in 365 Days
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

The Ending was Better Than the Start

The Mystery of The Crochet Chess Set (Crochet Mysteries Series Book 1) - Pamela Murrey

Megan is an older sister to Anne and aunt to Ian. She is getting ready to retire and her last days are happening, just as her nephew gets hit by a hit and run driver. There is a prior crime that is starting the book and it leads up to what happens to later in the book. Jasper is a valet at the hospital and he and a buddy rob a jewelry store. He hides his loot and then it is several years later and we meet Megan and her family. She sits by the bedside of her nephew working on a crochet chess set for him (this was why I was interested because I was hoping that there was a pattern) and Jasper is out of jail and working at the hospital again. He steals the chess pieces that are finished and plans to use them to get them out of the area. While this is happening the grandson of the fence is following Jasper in hopes he can find the stash, he is also to blame for the hit and run, he also plans to kill the nephew of Megan because he was able to id him (or so he thinks).

Megan and Anne go through many things while waiting for Ian to recuperate and be released.

My main issue with the story was how fragmented it was and then all the errors, spelling, grammar, paragraphs, etc. It made the story hard to follow and difficult to understand in many places. I plodded along because I was still hoping for a pattern. The ending did come together well and was better than the start. There is also a pattern to make your own garden chess set, but my first read through was not a happy event. She tries to explain how she wants you to create the pieces and the pictures of the pieces were not what I was imagining. I may go to Ravelry and see if I can find some things to make to use as chess pieces. I can easily make a board for the girls to play on, but I just want to make the pieces, too.