HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

A Catered Costume Party (Mystery With Recipes)
Isis Crawford
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Another for Double Dipping

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce

I assigned this book to the girls for History and English. The book is a classic (and I read it in college) and it also looks at some of the things that happened during the Civil War. The farmer was caught trying to burn the bridge down after the Union had fixed it and posted signs that they would hang anyone caught trying to get rid of the bridges.

He thinks of his family and there is a description of his hanging and how he came to be at the bridge and why he would undertake such a chance.

The girls were not impressed, but they are younger and I think the discussion of the two books together may help them understand their importance in the classics and may see some of the things that happen in wars that would keep them from being romantic or idealized.