HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

A Catered Costume Party (Mystery With Recipes)
Isis Crawford
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Good Story and Vocabulary to Boot

Gone Gull - Donna Andrews

This is the latest book written by Donna Andrews (another is due in November or December). After finding her Grandmother, Cordelia, she and her family come together to help Cordelia on her latest enterprise to turn Biscuit Mountain into a Craft Get Away. People come for a week to learn a craft and have a week away from the cares and worries of everyday life. The problem that exists is that when she tried to hire crafters to come and teach classes, no one would come. Their experience with one her rivals had turned them off, but Meg coming in and backing the project, helped the crafters change their minds and come teach. All seems to be starting out well until someone is destroying other peoples work through vandalism. Then the murders start. Meg and her family help the local chief of police (with her help and blessing) to find out who actually is to blame for the damage and murder.

So many new characters. Crafters with odd ways and behaviors that either endear or despise them, to students who are weird and odd or just irritating to the point of doing things to keep them out of the way.

I love these stories for the fun and oddities, but also because of the great vocabulary that you can find. I mark the words, write them in a notebook, along with definitions and then use them with the girls for school spelling, vocabulary and grammar lessons. My notebook is overflowing with words.