HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
Chelsea Sedoti
A Catered Murder (Mystery with Recipes, No. 1)
Isis Crawford
Progress: 51 %
Cover to Cover: Through the Bible in 365 Days
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

That Which is Fashionable Looks Costumey (is that a word?)

We'll Always Have Parrots - Donna Andrews

I recalled looking in my high school year book recently, and noticing, to my surprise, that from a distance of nearly two decades, the cool people didn't look nearly as cool anymore. The fashionable clothes and trendy hairstyles hadn't worn well. And all of the rest of us, the little people who'd despaired of ever being that cool--we looked rather normal. Time, the great leveler. Pg 213 "We'll Always Have Parrots" by Donna Andrews.

That quote is so appropriate. I went to an all girl private school and we wore uniforms. But shoes (penny loafers) and hair (big puffy styles) were all the rage. Hairspray anyone.

Meg and Michael are attending a convention for followers of the tv show that Michael performs in and has to attend conventions. QB demands that as many cast members attend the events as possible and made it part of the contract. While they are there, parrots and monkeys are brought into the hotel and someone released them and they are running all over the hotel. QB has decided to stay drunk through most of the Convention and difficult. She has to be coaxed out of the room. When she finally deems it time to come out of the room, she terrifies Meg's nephew and when Meg finds out, she goes and demands that QB signs her nephew's  program and learn how to behave.

Later, Meg has to break into QB's room and finds her murdered and hears the last words ever said, repeated by an African Gray Parrot. Michael, Walker and a few others are looked as suspects and Meg makes it her goal to find who really killed the QB and keep Michael and Walker from being taken to jail.

Along the way, she meets a whole cast of crazy characters who are like her family in some ways, but her family (mother, father, and nephew) are at the convention, too.

It is a good read, but not as many laugh out loud moments as when she has more of her family.