HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

A Catered Costume Party (Mystery With Recipes)
Isis Crawford
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

The 2nd Book in Meg Langslow Series

Murder With Puffins - Donna Andrews

I'll start with the books can be read out of order (I found it hard to find many when I got to that in the order, but read what I could get in whatever order I could). In book two, Meg and Michael are finding it hard to find time alone. If they go to where Michael is staying, a couch in another professor's house, or where Meg is staying, her mother's house since the artist using her place refuses to vacate, they decided to go to her Aunt Phoebe's cabin on Monhegan Island in Maine. Michael is a professor at a University in Caerphilly, VA, where housing is so limited that it is hard for people to find a place to stay and end up staying in places they normally wouldn't (someone's couch). Since this is the 2nd time for reading these books, I was curious as to the place actually existing (family in VA and staying there for visits to family in VA and MD). It seems that there is a Caerphilly, but it is a park or country club, not an actual city or county. It does make the story go along well as there are points where hard to find living space comes into play during the future stories.

On the trip over on the ferry, they realize that they chose the worst time to travel to the island. They are traveling through a hurricane that is winding down but comes back during their stay. Also, during their stay, they find her mother, father, brother, Aunt Phoebe and her mother's friend. They also run into the local that most people do not like. He has made himself a nuisance with the locals and shoots anyone he considers a trespasser, even if they are on the public path.

When her father disappears on the island so he can watch the hurricane hit, she and Michael are sent to search for him. Then her aunt takes off after Resnick, also because she believes he is shooting at the birds (not her niece). Meg and Michael find Resnick dead in a tidal pool and pull him out and get him settled into the freezer at an empty restaurant. Meg realizes that her family is going to be the first ones looked at, although the whole island is covered with people who had a reason to want Resnick dead. She and Michael begin to search for who really murdered Resnick.

These books are great because they have some very funny, improbable moments and yet, they increase vocabulary. I like them on Kindle because you can turn on the vocabulary booster and it will provide definitions on words that you don't know or read with a dictionary handy. I love that I can assign the books to my girls and they will learn some words that they didn't know before and in the process increase their own vocabularies.