HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

Harry Potter's Book of Virtues: Volume 1, The Virtue of Work
Casey Robin, Connie Neal
Progress: 24 %
Murder at the 42nd Street Library: A Mystery (Thomas Dunne Book)
Con Lehane
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Cozy Mysteries with Birds in Title

Murder With Peacocks - Donna Andrews

I discovered Donna Andrews and her Meg Langslow mysteries with "Crouching Buzzard and Leaping Loons." I loved the title and the cover photo. It made me laugh. I borrowed it from the Lebanon Library and loved the story. Since I knew that this was not the first book, I began the quest to read all of the books. Which started with "Murder with Peacocks."

It is summer and Meg is the Maid of Honor in 3 weddings, one weekend after another. The weddings start with her friend and partner, Eileen, who is flaky but lovable. The next wedding is her brother, Rob's, wedding and Meg doesn't like her future Sister-in-law, Samantha. The third wedding is her mother's wedding to Jake.

As the Maid of Honor, she is given lists of things that the brides want in their weddings. Eileen wants a Renaissance wedding, involving velvet dresses for the bridesmaids and herself. Meg tries and fails to talk her out of those "costumes" and in the heat of summer she and the others have to wear velvet clothing.

Samantha wants peacocks for her wedding so that it will be colorful since it will be the heat of summer and the flowers will not be as colorful. When Meg's mother hears about the peacocks, she decides she has to have them, too.

As the lists continue and the work to prepare for the weddings continues, Jake's deceased wife's sister, Mrs. Grover, comes to town and is murdered. The most likely suspect has an iron-clad alibi. Then someone tries to kill Meg's father and then tries to kill all of them with a bomb in a box and many other things.

As the body count goes up, Meg meets and enjoys the company of Michael, the town's dress shop owner's son. He is running his mother's shop while she recuperates in Florida.

These books are great for encouraging vocabulary and have many funny moments. Spike is introduced as a neurotic small dog and Rob is a younger brother who doesn't want to be a doctor and is studying for the Bar Exam and writing a role playing game.

So much fun. Enjoy!