HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

Harry Potter's Book of Virtues: Volume 1, The Virtue of Work
Casey Robin, Connie Neal
Progress: 24 %
Murder at the 42nd Street Library: A Mystery (Thomas Dunne Book)
Con Lehane
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Definitely Due A Pulitzer Prize

The Underground Railroad: A Novel - Colson Whitehead

I did not read this because it was a Pulitzer Prize winning book, I read it because it was a book club read for a library near us and I was curious. I grew up in Newport, Kentucky, also known as Northern Kentucky. Northern Kentucky has a lot of homes that were part of the Underground Railroad. My parents would point out the houses that were part of the RailRoad and I paid attention. They were grand homes that had secret rooms or how secret hiding places in walls or on the roofs. When I was in high school some of the houses started showing signs in front that identified them as part of the railroad. So seeing this book I was interested.

It follows one girl from her grandmother's capture in Africa to her mother's escaping and then her own escape, following her through the Railroad and all the problems that happen along the way.

I do recommend this book, but it is graphic in the violence, but that cannot be helped as slaves were poorly treated, but it is very interesting.