Mary's Books

Thirteen Chocolates (A Chandler's Chocolate Box Mystery Book 1)
agatha chocolats
A Catered Wedding
Isis Crawford
The Murder at the Vicarage
Agatha Christie
The Know Your Bill of Rights Book: Don't Lose Your Constitutional Rights--Learn Them!
Sean Patrick
Six Geese A-Slaying
Donna Andrews

Definitely Due A Pulitzer Prize

The Underground Railroad: A Novel - Colson Whitehead

I did not read this because it was a Pulitzer Prize winning book, I read it because it was a book club read for a library near us and I was curious. I grew up in Newport, Kentucky, also known as Northern Kentucky. Northern Kentucky has a lot of homes that were part of the Underground Railroad. My parents would point out the houses that were part of the RailRoad and I paid attention. They were grand homes that had secret rooms or how secret hiding places in walls or on the roofs. When I was in high school some of the houses started showing signs in front that identified them as part of the railroad. So seeing this book I was interested.

It follows one girl from her grandmother's capture in Africa to her mother's escaping and then her own escape, following her through the Railroad and all the problems that happen along the way.

I do recommend this book, but it is graphic in the violence, but that cannot be helped as slaves were poorly treated, but it is very interesting.