HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

Harry Potter's Book of Virtues: Volume 1, The Virtue of Work
Casey Robin, Connie Neal
Progress: 24 %
Murder at the 42nd Street Library: A Mystery (Thomas Dunne Book)
Con Lehane
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

Pythons in Florida

Swamp Bones: A Temperance Brennan Short Story - Kathy Reichs

Two of my daughters love snakes! They love to hold them and carry them around and feed them. I have had to nail my feet to the ground while holding a snake, but have come to a point where I have learned to like them. I have held a very long reticulated python and loved the feel of it. This story is set in the Florida Everglades where they have a problem. During a hurricane, many Burmese Pythons got loose and since this is not their native habit they have adapted and have no natural predators other than humans. They are propagating their species. Because of this Florida has a contest to catch and kill these snakes.

This book is full of great information on pythons and also had a good story to put around the facts. I highly recommend this book and while it is not my oldest daughter's favorite genre, I have been encouraging her to read this story as she will enjoy the snake sections of the story.

Oh, and I learned that there is a "Journal of Herpetology."