HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

Harry Potter's Book of Virtues: Volume 1, The Virtue of Work
Casey Robin, Connie Neal
Progress: 24 %
Murder at the 42nd Street Library: A Mystery (Thomas Dunne Book)
Con Lehane
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

What is the Order?

Theodore Boone: the Fugitive - John Grisham

As I was reading this book, I was questioning the order the books went in. The reason I was questioning was that the book that I read before this one "The Scandal" had the kids taking the tests. These tests are given in February and March (in Ohio) and the trip to Washington DC happens end of April beginning of May. The kids aren't in school too much past that.

Upon researching the books, I found that the class trip was prior to the testing, as found on this site.

In this book, Theo and his 8th-grade class are going to DC for their field trip and while he is on the Metro coming back from the theatre where Lincoln was assassinated, he sees "The Fugitive" Peter Duffy, who ran before the start of the 2nd trial. He has a bounty on his head and he has changed his looks. Theo decides to ditch his partner (the kids have to pair up) and his classmates and the teacher who took all this group of kids. He states that due to the press of the people he wasn't able to get off the train and would ride back as soon as he got to the next stop. He films Duffy with his phone and sends the recording to his uncle, Ike, who promptly comes to DC to trail Duffy himself and then they report what they learned to the FBI who require Ike's and Theo's help in finding Duffy and so he gets to go back to DC.

Things that I found interesting, was that the Defense attorney paid thugs who bugged another attorney's office and then used the information to threaten a witness. It made me wonder what they were going to get out of an acquittal. I also wondered why the witness was not kept in a room with the police officers so that he couldn't sneak out when he was threatened. I wonder why this threat to the witness was not brought to the attention of the judge as soon as the witness finally trusted Theo enough to call him and why the police didn't ping the phone they gave the witness, and why they didn't ask for a transcript of calls and texts to the phone they gave him, as this phone was not owned by the witness, but the police who gave it to him.

I had more questions on this book than on the other five and felt that the order was wrong as the ending makes you think that the thugs are going to do something to Theo or his family in the next book and that doesn't happen or that there is a 7th book in the works.

It was a good read, but I think they depended too much on a 13-year-old to "help" solve the problems of adults. Given that I was able to suspend reality for a bit, was good.