Mary's Books

Thirteen Chocolates (A Chandler's Chocolate Box Mystery Book 1)
agatha chocolats
A Catered Wedding
Isis Crawford
The Murder at the Vicarage
Agatha Christie
The Know Your Bill of Rights Book: Don't Lose Your Constitutional Rights--Learn Them!
Sean Patrick
Six Geese A-Slaying
Donna Andrews

Gathering to Revel While Others Die

The Masque of the Red Death - Edgar Allan Poe

I am rereading this story as well. I read this over the summer in high school because I was interested in other Poe stories and whenever possible I tried to watch Vincent Price in Poe made movies.

I have just finished rereading this after reading "The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen and many things came to mind. One was that the Prince had gathered his friends in a castle and sealed everyone inside to party while many were dying horrible deaths outside. Two was that in "The Bone Garden" Rose was encouraged to bathe and get rid of her clothing that was very old and very dirty because everyone staying in the doctor's house needed to be clean so that no one brought an illness.

It seemed that while the courtiers were enjoying all the good in life, they still stopped to listen to the clock and maybe hear the stillness from outside, listening to life leaving.

This is another book that I will be using in the lessons this year. See what the girls think after reading the story.

On a side note, I did look up to find that Red Death was fictional and a disease created by Poe, but there had been many who died from many different plagues.