HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

A Catered Costume Party (Mystery With Recipes)
Isis Crawford
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

"The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen

The Bone Garden  - Tess Gerritsen

This book goes back and forth between past and present. It goes back to a past in Boston, MA where women were dying under the care of doctors while giving birth, because of a lack of knowledge that they needed to wash after each patient and before each new patient. Back to a past where Oliver Wendall Holmes was a doctor in training. It goes to a present where a woman finds a body buried in her garden and in trying to find out about the skeleton, she meets Henry who may have the information in papers from his relative, Margaret, who once owned the house. She learns some information on the skeleton from Dr. Isles and that is all the Rizzoli and Isles that is seen in this book as it looks at a past where women were not cared for as well as they should have been, children were born without knowledge of their true fathers and women have to marry someone in order to have a father for a child they are carrying. It is sad and tragic what a woman went through in those times and it is good that Oliver Wendall Holmes did learn how to prevent so many deaths in women giving birth and presented a paper on this after learning abroad in France.

Enjoyable book with a great deal of history in it and while it was mostly fictional, it was a good story to read. I do recommend this book. It is not the typical mystery, but there is a mystery and it is solved through letters supposedly written by OWH.