Mary's Books

Thirteen Chocolates (A Chandler's Chocolate Box Mystery Book 1)
agatha chocolats
A Catered Wedding
Isis Crawford
The Murder at the Vicarage
Agatha Christie
The Know Your Bill of Rights Book: Don't Lose Your Constitutional Rights--Learn Them!
Sean Patrick
Six Geese A-Slaying
Donna Andrews

Teaching to the Test or Teaching to Learn

Theodore Boone: The Scandal - John Grisham

It is that time of year where kids are having to take tests to prove that they are learning something, but some schools are failing. They are failing because they have a higher concentration of immigrant families or one parent families or they have a harder time with the work than other kids. The teachers at one such school didn't want their kids punished for not being in a nicer neighborhood or have two parents who can help them with their work or parents who speak English and have college educations. They meet after the testing and change the answers on the test allowing their kids to look like they are making progress, but they are caught and an investigation starts. The teachers are charged with a crime, conspiracy. They seek out representation.

Learning should not be all about how many questions can you answer on a test. How well you can do taking tests, some kids are really bright and just can't take a test. Some kids need more help and others need less. Funding that depends on testing is a way that has forced many school districts to fall in line and do the testing with all the other schools in a state. Testing should be a progression where kids are allowed to learn at their own speed and maybe be far ahead on one subject and slower in another. Learning should be fun, not stressful.

Sorry about the soap box. I pulled my children from a school district because of bullying, but in the process learned more than I care to learn about the testing.

The book was very good and very timely. It was a wonderful read, that I highly recommend.