HelloGeorge

Mary's Books

Harry Potter's Book of Virtues: Volume 1, The Virtue of Work
Casey Robin, Connie Neal
Progress: 24 %
Murder at the 42nd Street Library: A Mystery (Thomas Dunne Book)
Con Lehane
Progress: 51 %
Cover to Cover: Through the Bible in 365 Days
John A Carroll
Progress: 60 %

What Would Make You Fight?

Theodore Boone: The Activist - John Grisham

Theodore's friend's family is going to lose the land and farmhouse that has been in the family for over 100 years. He goes to Theodore to help him understand how the state and county could do that to them. Theodore doesn't want to get involved, but one day while he and his friends were on the farm fishing, men who had no business on the land attacked the boys (all teens) and Theo's dog, Judge. Everyone is upset and they file charges and lawsuits over the incident. As they leave the court, Theo vows to fight those who did this to him and his dog.

As I read this book, I was crying along with Theo and his family and friends over the dog Judge. I won't state what happened to the dog, just to state that the dog had been beaten by the men when he protected Theo. It reminded me of how my grandparents lost their land to a road, that 50 to 60 later was torn up and returned to green space and my aunt and uncle lost their land for that same road. So as I was reading I was remembering the loss of business and land and homes to government road building. I am also reminded of a city that took land and homes for a private organization to build stores. They cited that the homes were a blight and needed to be removed, even though they were still being lived in and the people fought to keep their homes. What would it take for you to speak up to keep the government from taking something from others?